Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'll be your teacher; I'll show you the ropes.

I didn't eat the chocolate almonds! ...I ate a Snickers instead. Gag me! I wasn't hungry. I wasn't in an emotional high or low. I was bored. Boredom gets me every time! This work week has been so slow, and it makes it hard not to pig out on the evil little snacks here. Even though I'm embarrassed about eating the Snickers (mainly because I have to now tell you all about it...), I'm proud that I'm admitting it to you. I'm also proud that I added it into my eating journal and counted it in the amount of calories I ate yesterday. A few days ago I wouldn't have done that. I would have pretended that I didn't eat it, then I would have gotten mad at the scale when I didn't lose (or, god forbid, gained) weight.

Has anyone heard the story about the 600lb, 42 year old woman from New Jersey whose life goal is to reach 1000lbs within the next two years? Her 'plan' is to eat a minimum of 12,000 calories a day and move as little as possible. If she makes it to 1000lbs, she will 'successfully' take the award for the heaviest woman alive (alive being the operative word). It makes me unbearably sad that society's search for the 'perfect body' has not only pushed men and women into being anorexic and bulimic, but has also sent eating disorders skyrocketing in the opposite direction. It seems ridiculous to me that with all the knowledge we have as civilized, educated North Americans, that our society still pushes fad diets and extreme measures to lose weight. We make uncivilized choices when it comes to our health. Pills, needles, surgeries, starvation, throwing up, binging, measuring and weighing every single thing we eat every single day. Minus the surgery, this has been my life for the last 14 years. You'd think that by doing all that I'd be stick thin. Not the case (clearly), in fact, it has pushed me so far in the other direction that sometimes I wish I had the nerve to go through with the surgery. How much more can we push people to be 'perfect' before we end up making our whole nation sick? Just a little 'food' for thought...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda!
    This is your cousin Melissa, I am so proud of your new blog! It inspired me to finally start my own weight loss blog, something I have been wanting to do for a while but didn't have the guts too until now. If you want to read it, you can find it here:

    www.madelikejoan.blogspot.com

    I am so proud of you! Wishing us both the best,
    <3 Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely already commented! Why is it not here! Well it said, and I quote "You are incredibly strong! xoxo"

    ReplyDelete